Hi, It’s me, Baby Jake. Just wanted to send you a quick update about my Nanny. She was really good this week. I didn’t cry too much and mommy doesn’t look so worried when she leaves for work every morning. That’s really good, cause when mommy looks worried, I get scared. Sure hope this doesn’t last forever, but I’m not really sure what going back to work means.
Oh, but what I really wanted to tell you about was some big excitement that’s going to happen this Sunday. I heard Mommy talking to Grandma about something called Father’s Day. I think it might be a party. I saw mommy hide things in my nursery that looked like cake baking stuff. Shh…don’t tell Daddy! Can’t wait till I’m old enough to try this cake thing. And to do Father’s Day too…or maybe I am going to be part of it. Hmm?
I ‘m not sure this has anything to do with Father’s Day, but it sounded important when mommy was talking to daddy. She was showing him a paper she called a list and said it would make it easier to take care of me when she’s not home. Maybe she’s going to go out and buy more cake things and that’s why Daddy has to watch me.
But I think you need to know about this list. It might help your Daddy too: Every time daddy takes care of me, mommy leaves a list for him. And she also leaves him this book called Help! My Baby Came Without Instructions that she says will help if he has an issue with me! What kind of issue? I’m just a baby.
Here are some of the things on the list: (I heard daddy reading them out loud and shaking his head. Do you think this is a good thing?
- Before you change Baby Jake’s diaper, make sure you have everything you need, clean diapers, wipes, ointment, etc. before you start.
- Please don’t change him on the kitchen table. That’s where we eat!
- Place a washcloth or extra diaper over Baby Jakes penis as you take off his diaper or you’ll probably get a wet surprise on your face. Little boys love to pee as soon as the cool air hits their little privates!
- If he has a poopy diaper, make sure to wipe in all his little creases and not just his bottom.
- Remember to pull out the elastic between Jake’s little legs when you diaper him or it may pinch. Ouch!
- Please swaddle Baby Jake with his arms out like I showed you, before you lay him down for a nap. It reminds him of the womb.
- Please put his soft music on when it’s naptime.
- If you can’t figure out how to do something, take a look at page 65 in Blythe Lipman’s book, Help! My Baby Came Without Instructions on the coffee table. She has tips for most everything when it comes to taking care of babies.
- And please don’t get nervous. Jake will sense it and start crying.
- If all else fails, you know my cell number. I promise I won’t laugh or criticize if you get stuck. You’re a great daddy, “I Love You and so does Baby Jake!”
Remember to have fun, sing songs and act silly…babies love playtime with their daddies.
Happy Father’s Day!
Blythe Lipman, President and Founder of Baby Instructions based in Scottsdale, Arizona, is a nationally recognized baby and toddler expert, a parenting consultant, an author of three award-winning books, Help! My Baby Came Without Instructions, More…Help! My Baby Came Without Instructions, and Help! My Toddler Came Without Instructions, a teacher, a caregiver, a keynote speaker, a blogger AND host of Baby and Toddler Instructions, a weekly Parenting Internet talk radio show which airs live every Wednesday at 11:00 am EST on itunes and toginet. She is owner of the online parenting magazine My Best Parenting Advice and the site Baby Instruction