It’s me, Baby Jake, the coolest baby ever, that helps run my mom’s website, www.mybestparentingadvice.com Sorry I haven’t been in touch for a while, but I’ve been really busy getting used to my new dog, Plato. You know, teaching him tricks, trying to keep him from licking my face, all those things. But we are best buds and I can’t imagine a day without him!
I also told you about my new Nanny in another post. Well, she’s working out fine, but she’s not mommy or daddy. And not so sure Nanny won’t be taking a hike soon. I don’t think I was supposed to hear mommy and daddy talking, but I heard the word “Preschool.” Shh…don’t tell them. Not really sure what that is, but it must be another surprise cause they were whispering.
I looked on the Internet when I was supposed to be napping, to see what preschool is. I’m not sure it’s a good surprise, as it said I would have to go to a school. Then I looked in mommy’s book, (she’s a famous author, you know), Help! My Baby Came Without Instructions, and she has an entire chapter about finding the perfect preschool. And if you have a toddler, there’s a preschool chapter in Help! My Toddler Came Without Instructions too. Anyway, if you’re going to be sending your baby or toddler to preschool, you need to know everything in this chapter.
So here are fifteen things to consider when you visit:
- Does the director keep you waiting more than a few minutes?
- Does she give you all the time you need to talk before the tour?
- Does the director tell you about the school’s security system, who can come in, who can’t and what they need?
- What is the illness policy?
- Does the school smell good?
- Does the infant room look clean and are there lots of fun, age appropriate toys?
- Is there a stroller, so we can go outside?
- Are the electrical outlets covered?
- Is there a fire exit door clearly marked?
- Does the room have a telephone?
- When you come into the room, does the teacher come over and talk to and ask to hold you?
- Do the teachers look neat, clean and dressed appropriately and what is the ratio?
- Do the teachers look like they’re having fun?
- Are there any babies crying or unhappy?
- Would you feel good about leaving me at this school?
There are lots more things in the Preschool Checklist that you will need. And while I might be scared to to leave my house, I bet mommy and daddy are scared too. But I know they will do what’s best for me. Wondering if Plato, can come to preschool too?
Rachel, my three month old girlfriend has been going to preschool for months and told me it’s really fun but different than being home with a nanny! She said; sometimes when she’s hungry, it takes a forever, (not sure what a forever is), for the teacher to warm up her bottle, cause there are eight hungry mouths to feed instead of one. But she says it’s okay, cause it gives her lots of time to try out her lungs and cry really hard. (Oops, maybe I shouldn’t have told you that?) But Rachel hopes I can come to the same school. Me too, because I know she will show me the ropes!
So maybe you should pick up a copy of my mom’s book. I know it will really help you find the perfect preschool for your baby or toddler. Here’s the link to make it easy: http://amzn.to/1pn6Qsu
Oh, and one more thing that’s really cool…if you send me your email address (firstname.lastname@example.org), I’ll enter you in a contest to win a copy of my mommy’s book. And it will be FREE! Pretty awesome, huh?
Till next time….
Blythe Lipman, President and Founder of Baby Instructions based in Scottsdale, Arizona, is a nationally recognized baby and toddler expert, a parenting consultant, an author of three award-winning books, Help! My Baby Came Without Instructions, More…Help! My Baby Came Without Instructions, and Help! My Toddler Came Without Instructions, a teacher, a caregiver, a keynote speaker, a blogger AND host of Baby and Toddler Instructions, a weekly Parenting Internet talk radio show which airs live every Wednesday at 11:00 am EST on itunes and toginet. She is owner of the online parenting magazine MyBestParentingAdvice.com and BabyInstructions.com
My Best Parenting Advice: Are You Scared To Send Your Baby To Preschool? by Baby Jake